Look Beyond Yourself

"...The best are energized when they are using their gifts and talents for a purpose beyond themselves." -Training Camp, Jon Gordan

Purpose. That is something A LOT of people question about their life. It is one of those deep questions of life, what is our purpose here? Some people figure it out through their career passion, their athleticism, their artistic abilities. Some people can go through their whole life not sure what their purpose is or are just blind to it of which is right in front of them. For me, it was a driving force behind my track season last year, where I dropped 18 seconds off of my 1500m time, and went from somebody who was OK in the MAC conference to someone who made it to finals at the NCAA championships, became an all-American, and ran a time that qualified me to the USA Track and Field championships (essentially the world series or superbowl equivlent). I had felt my purpose with my past story was to inspire people that whatever you go through in life, if you keep working and believe in yourself, you can overcome anything. It was cool to improve and be competing so well, but I found that me being nationally known and inspiring others drove myself to become that much better. When you do things for yourself, that is great, self care and empowerment is the first step, but, once you get to that point, you must feel there is more to you. Why do so many people find happiness in volunteering, and in outreach? It is because they are putting their talents to work to help others. I dont know about you, but I always feel the happiest when I am doing something to better someone else. It makes me feel like I have PURPOSE. We don't live just nearly to exists, but to make an impact, to help and uplift others. When you find yourself wanting to improve and become the best you can be for others, it makes it easier to better yourself because you know that what you are doing will be positively impacting others. So the next time you work at your craft, try to identify a way that it could positively impact another person. Could your art inspire someone to take up art as a way of therapy? Can what you do at work be providing resources for someone who may be struggling? When you identify these humanitarian side effects of what you do, it gives you so much more energy and motive to improve yourself so that you may bring out the best in others!

Comments