My Mario Mashup Video


Orignaly, I had a different idea for my project, but I had misunderstood the term "mashup video" and thus my original idea went out the window. Going into the public domain video website, I was clicking around trying to find a base video to stem off of. I came across a Super Mario Bros. video game video. When watching through it, I at first came up with the idea of randomly incorporating different videos of various people bouncing around, since Mario does that quite frequently through out the levels, but, as he went down into a tube, and into a different part of the level, I came up with the idea of each time he went down into a tube, 'mixing in' a video of a different location or ecosystem, and thus, my mashup video came about. I used Windows video editor, and kept my song I created as the background music for the entire video. I do not have much experience with video editing, and I felt this editor was quite basic and could not find out how to incorporate different sounds. I felt though keeping the same song throughout gave the video consistency. For each of the different places that I had Mario "travel" to, I incorporated a "video game" filter to those sections of video, to have it kind of merge with the video game pixels of Super Mario Bros, even though it was more pixely than the game itself, I felt it added a more creative element. Overall, I would say my video and the techniques I used were somewhat successful. Mixing and putting things into one that do not go together goes against my personal creative thinking, so I was for sure stepping outside my comfort zone doing this. I find it hard to creatively put this kind of work together, and often give credit to those who do make successful mash up videos (such as the Walking Dead/Breaking Bad example in our module) as that takes a lot of time and creativity to find clips that all fit together. If I were to change a couple things it would for sure be the transition between clips as well as incorporating more sounds. I could not find how to make smoother transitions in the video editor I used, so I just had to deal with how it turned out without that. In regards to the sound, had I known how to adjust it more to be clip specific, I would have reserved my Soundation creation to be when Mario was in his world, and then had content specific sound clips to the different places (such as warped sound going through the warp zones.) I did learn in this project how to trim and put together different clips as well as the actual meaning to mashup videos. I just had quite a bit of difficulty creatively putting together a video as it is something I am not creatively inclined to do.

Comments