ScribblerToo and Flame Painter Creations


                                                              Apple of my Eye

I found the generative art website ScribblerToo very fun to play around with! This is a medium I found if I spent time to practice and familiarize myself with all the variances in brush settings, I could create some really cool stuff! This first image I created was from the approach of using underpaint with an uploaded image. The original image is an istock photo of an apple that I used as a reference point. Using underpaint used the tones that were already within the apple and was easier to "trace" the image. It helped a lot that it was on a white background so that the connections were made more clear-cut without drawing in colors that would be from elsewhere had the background been colored or detailed. It also helped to create the light areas without having to go over it with a white brush (as I tried that on another image and it turned out really messy). I really liked how this turned out and as a beginner would definitely suggest using the underpaint setting to get used to working with the lines and connections.




The Oceans 8 Legs

For the second ScribblerToo image I created this one free draw. For this I tried to create volume just by using lights and darks. The more I moved the brush around the more I felt like I was creating an octopus or squid of some sorts. I continued along with that and added an ocean bottom with a coulple rocks and created some lights and darks with that as well. This was fun because I felt like I crated something by accident as I was just going for creating an image with volume without a real subject matter. I had fun with the free drawing  as I feel like you can create something that looks really cool without having a real plan for it, like below. Here I was just trying out the different settings and getting a feel for how the tool worked and I thought the image looked cool, even though there was no real premise for it.





The Dark Taking Over the Light

When first starting to create something with the Flame Painter, I was trying too hard to create something that was literal, such as an actual object. But as I continued to unsuccessful with that, I just started letting the cursor flow, switching between different settings, saturation and opacity to elicit some sort of work that conveyed emotion. Here, I tried to elicit sadness, more specifically depression. The color blue is often associated with sadness, while grays and black associated with depression. With this work I used a combination of both. The premise here was wherever there would be a light or bright spot, going over it with the black. This I tried to convey that often times when people are depressed, the "light" or good things that are happening in their lives are overshadowed by the darkness or depression within them.


Lost in a Fog

With this work I stuck to a black, white and gray color scheme. When I started using the brush with a zero saturation and high noise and focus, I noticed it created this cloudy smoky look and it reminded me of being in fog or being lost. I then continued to play with the settings and using the eraser as well, to create this image of feeling lost. This can almost play into the emotion of anger as well because of the chaos and swirling of lines.

Comments