The Urban Landscape: Zoom-Focused

Behind Bars_Edited

"...Third, tune out disctractions. Don't listen to what others say about you. After all, we don't talk this game, we play it. Tune out the distractions and zoom-focus on what you need to do every day to be your best. Do your talking on the field. Don't compare yourself to others. Don't look at the depth chart. Don't listen to naysayers. Every day, focus on continuous improvement and getting better."
-Training Camp, by Jon Gordan

It must be by fate that I choose this image with this book quote to go along with it. I was trying to find a something from one of my favorite books, Training Camp, to tie into this photo, and when I came across the chapter, Mental Zoom-Focus, I felt as though the close up, zoom-focus, of this image was perfect. But to go back to why it seems like fate, the last couple days I have been struggling with a situation that goes along the lines of what this third technique to tune out distractions and focus on priorities is trying to teach. I needed to read to not listen to what others have to say about you, to ignore the naysayers. We have negative people who are in our lives, and they can drag us down mentally and emotionally, and can affect how we perform in life. We can get caught up in it, and it makes us doubt our own self worth, which we cannot afford to let us do. I have a big meet coming up this weekend and I just need to do my talking on the field, or in this case, the track. I just need to focus on improving and making myself better without worrying about what others are thinking or saying about me.

I chose this image as my favorite of my edited photos from my Urban Landscape Edited assignment. For this image I: increased both brightness and contrast of the original photo, as well as applied a circular focal blur around the closest barred window, applied a color boost to that area and a glow boost to the surrounding area. I really enjoy this image because it combines repetition with the windows, perspective and is ~zoom-focused~ to the subject matter. The focal blur is an editing tool I love using for it really draws attention to a specific area of the image to bring ones focus to what you intend them to focus on.

My original images were shot on a 12 megapixel camera on my phone, giving the image a 4000 x 3000 pixel resolution. The Flickr account informed me that the image had a 4.2 mm focal length, an f-stop of f/1.7 and an exposure time of 1/355, all of which are under the auto setting of my phones camera. The natural lighting that day was poor, as it was quite overcast, and thus the original colors of the images were quite dull and the brightness and contrast was low, and these were the main elements I focused on editing. The original image was actually quite sharp, and thus did not need to edit sharpness. The exposure, as well, was fine, so I did not have to adjust that, as the image was neither too dark or too light, just dull. I opted to leave this photo without a filter, but more so focused on increasing the color brightness and focus of the image.


Comments